Name of the Department
This is the Lookingglass Volunteer Fire Department (LVFD).
The LVFD meets the needs of our community by providing well-trained firefighters for response to fire, rescue, medical and public service incidents. We protect lives, property, and the environment with compassion and a dedication to excellence. We meet or exceed the requirements of local, state and national statutes and standards related to the Fire Service. Our conduct will reflect our commitment to safety, honesty, personal responsibility, fairness, respectfulness and integrity. We recognize that the most effective way to protect lives and property is to prevent fires from occurring through fire prevention and education.
Lookingglass Rural Fire District is manned entirely by well-trained, dedicated volunteers and we can always use more. Volunteers must be 18 or older and live within the district. Volunteers attend drill one night per week (currently Thursdays at 7pm). Firefighter certification requires completing an 81 hour class on structural fire suppression. Interested volunteers can take additional training to get certification for various levels of medical responder.
Current Training Schedule:
This schedule is subject to change.
- June 7 – Propane Emergencies
- June 9 – Weekend Extra: Tactical Ventilation, RFD & DCFD#2, at the Windmill Inn; 9am to 3pm
- June 14 – Live Fire Propane prop
- June 16 – Weekend Extra: Emergency Driving, I Vehicle Operation, II Route Selection, III Proper Use of Emergency Signaling Equipment, IV Forces acting on Emergency vehicles, V Special precautions for adverse road and weather, VI Special situations; 9 am to 3 pm+
- June 21 – EMS: FFI#22, S-VI, Bleeding control
- June 24 – Extra Weekend: LPG Live Fire with Tenmile Fire at Lookingglass Property, 3 pm to 8 pm.
- June 28 – FFI#14 Water Supply, S-I components, S-II Hydrants
- July 5 – FFI#14 Water, S-III Alt H20 Sources, S-IV rural ops
- July 12 – FFI #8 Ropes & Knots
- July 14 – Weekend Extra: 3008, TPE for Driver: T-1 Driving Course; 3008, TPE for Driver: T-2 Drivers; Road Test
- July 19 – EMS: FFI#22, S-111 Infection control
- July 26 – FFI #16 Fire Streams
We currently have 23 active volunteers, of which 6 are officers and 17 are firefighters. Seven volunteers are also certified medical first responders.
To learn more, or to add your name to our list of volunteers, please call the fire station.
Lookingglass Firefighter Explorer Program
Lookingglass Fire department has started a firefighter explorer academy. Teens ages 14-18 are encouraged to participate. Currently, we have 8 explorers.
For more information, check out their Facebook page.
Slideshows of Volunteers
Click on any of the buttons, below, to open a slideshow.